Friday, January 20, 2017

Best laid plans...


A year ago last fall I visited New Orleans with my lovely bride and of course had to throw some bonsai into the trip so we visited an old friend Guy Guidry at his new digs.  I also met a few on-line friends for the first time at the shop- Jim Osbourne and Brian Gregoire....



And he was showing off this great pot from Dale Cochoy.  It happened to have a big sister that was on its way to me before I got a block away from the shop!  I already had a tree in mind for it.  A bald cypress clump I had purchased from Mark Goodman.


A quick "poor man's photo-shop"...

I really like the depth- It matches the thickness of the clump and BC want their roots cool and moist (they are swamp trees after all)... and the curves on this complement the curves of the buttressed base.

The texture and coloring is subtle and hints at a muddy bank/swamp without being distracting or too schtick-ey...

And there's nothing like an American pot for an American species and styled in an American flat-top style...

Unfortunately I got side tracked and by the time I got back to it the buds were too far advanced to risk a repot.  So back to it this year...

But first, I tried a quick video clip to give more detail:



Well... it looked good in the mock up anyway.  I need a good extra 4" (that's what she said) and Dales said he can't get any bigger on his pots. 

No, I can't just get a shoe horn and there is good base buttresses all the way to the edges of that root ball that need to stay to add stability to the image so I'm off to find other solutions.  Good cypress bonsai are all about those strong buttressed bases.  Knees are a good extra!  




So into a less-than-interesting mica pot for the time being and off to search for another likely candidate  for the drum pot amidst the 30 other big BCs I have...

No comments: